Constance Caraway P.I. ~ Episode 21
…Someone(s) in the secret workings of the federal government is keeping an eye on the U of C scientist…
Martin suggests that they work with the University’s new wieldy mainframe computer to expedite the process of information gathering. “It is like having 20 Eddies traveling at 20 different directions at once,” as Martin puts it. “Let’s get to it, girls.”
“Martin, you look into the telegraphs. Fanny, see if you can find out anything about those FBI agents. I’ll work the telephone records.” Three people doing three different things at once. “If you find something, write it down and we will compare notes.”
- ‘To: Who is Billy Graham? Place a call to Northwestern Bible College where the man is affiliated.’
- ‘From: Tolentine Friars? Is that a restaurant or a place for Monks?’
- ‘From: McGraw-Hill Publishing Company. It figures he would be a bookworm, interesting.’
- ‘To: The United Nations? Wow, this guy shoots high.’
- ‘From: Vincent Wolfgram, a single call on 12/10, the day Willard goes missing. That is huge.’
- ‘To: The FBI, New England office?’ Why did he contact them? And why did they nose around in his business, before he disappeared.’
“Those FBI agents work out the Chicago office exclusively,” offers Fanny. “Yet you tell us he calls the Massachusetts office and those two Chicago boys comes a calling, why?” Fanny discovers extensive government files under his name. Someone(s) in the secret workings of the federal government is keeping an eye on the U of C scientist. In this era of Communism fear mongering and accusation, having a file on you is not a good thing.
Martin Kamen finds out that Willard was in regular communication with Vatican City. What does their stance about the theory of evolution have to do with radiocarbon dating?